Video courses for company/skill based Preparation
Purchase mock tests for company/skill building
Tips And Tricks And Shortcuts For Synonyms And Antonyms
Tips and Tricks and Shortcuts for Synonyms and Antonyms
Synonyms and antonyms are a part of the vocabulary; the former means similar words, and the latter means opposite words. If one is aware of the actual meaning of the given word, then finding its similar as well as the opposite word becomes easier.
The following are some tips and tricks for Synonyms and Antonyms with the help of which the problems of synonyms and antonyms can be solved:
Easy Tips and Tricks To Solve Synonyms and Antonyms:
- Initially, divide the word into two parts, suffix and prefix. Try to identify the meaning of the word and evaluate whether it has a positive, negative, or neutral meaning.
- Segregate the words from the choices that come up with a negative effect as well as those which have a positive impact or meaning.
- If it is asked to find the meaning of the positive word, it will become much easier to relate the word with the available positive options.
- On the other hand, the case with antonyms is different. If it is requested or questioned to identify the contrary of a word that has a positive meaning, then its opposite will be one of the terms from the given possibilities, which has a negative meaning.
- However, if the meaning of any word from the available options is not clear, then the choices can be narrowed down to almost half.
- The above tip is helpful for words whose meaning is not known.
- To perform well in mock tests and exams, it is advisable to practice the tips regularly.
Some important tips for Synonyms and Antonyms
- Similar Options:
Some words are eye-catchy, you immediately think it’s going to be the antonym/synonym, but most of the guesses are not gonna be right so go through the options once again unless you’re sure of the answer.
Do not try to cram words and their meanings. Instead, try to understand the meaning of the word by reading its examples and usage.
- Associate Words:
When you have a word try to guess all its synonyms and from the answers see the exact word which has the same meaning, in the case of antonym the opposite meaning
You can use the elimination method in the exam. Out of the four options given, try to look for the meaning of all four. There are chances that you might know the meaning of at least 3 options. It will become easier for you to attempt the question that way.
- Grammar Clues:
Know the part of the speech the word is used in… For example, the word run can be used as a verb but it could also be used as a noun like ‘home run’ so make sure you know the part of the speech before answering.
Synonyms and Antonyms Tips and Tricks and Related Problems:
Find a similar word to:
Correct Answer: A
Embezzle comes with the suffix ‘bezzle,’ which means to plunder or the act of stealing. The only word matches with the same in the given list are A. The remaining word seems to be inappropriate as their basic meaning is in positive connotation which is contradictory to misappropriate as it has a negative meaning.
Find the opposite of the below word:
Correct Answer: D
Looking at the given options, the only possible word that contradicts the given word is option D. Other words do not give the same meaning as candid means to be real and unknown; similarly fortnight and direct also do not fit in the context.