How to Solve Paragraph Ordering Questions Quickly
How To Solve Paragraph Ordering Quickly
Paragraph Ordering Questions are sets of connected sentences in some random order, which when ordered, create a meaningful paragraph. On this page you will learn How To Solve Paragraph Ordering Questions Quickly in helpful ways.
To Solve Paragraph Ordering, Look for a mandatory pair among all the sentences –
Mandatory pair is a set of statements which seem to come one after the other.
- Whenever you sense a mandatory pair, just look at the choices.
- If only one choice has the pair, that might be the answer.
- But obviously if more than one choice has the same mandatory pair then we should adapt some other steps as follow.
How To Solve Paragraph Ordering: Important
- Definite pairs are the sentences which will come together. For example, it is found that AD is a definite pair.
- Therefore, any pair of the options which do not have AD as the pair will be eliminated from the given options.
- Again use Noun-Pronoun relationship approach where the noun will come in the first statement and will be replaced by pronouns in the second statement.
- The sentence containing noun and the sentence containing pronoun will come together
- Look for the sentences explaining cause and effect. The sentence with the cause and the sentence with the effect will come together.
- Look for signpost clues like ‘but’ and ‘and.’
How To Solve Paragraph Ordering Question
1 – Identifying the First and Last Sentence:
- Read the complete sentences and find the essence of the statements.
- Try to collect the clue words like firstly, in the beginning, Once upon a time, etc.
- Try to find a sentence which introduces a topic or person or idea.
- Use Noun-Pronoun relationship approach where the noun will come in the first statement and will be replaced by pronouns in the second statement.
- The below points will clear your doubt on how to eliminate sentences which cannot be opening sentence.
- Carry forward words: Words like “and, so, moreover” which carry forward a line of thought expressed in the earlier statement.
- Contrast words: Words like “but, however, nevertheless” which create a Contradiction with the earlier line of thought.
- Conclusive words: Words like finally, thus, eventually etc. which conclude. If a particular statement looks like a good starting point.
2 – Understand the Noun Pronoun Relationship:
In any passage, the Proper Noun always comes first followed by a pronoun.So if you spot a proper noun in any passage then be sure that it is going to come first or before another sentence that has a pronoun in it.
3 – Cause and Effect Relationship
Any type of Cause and Effect statement will be arranged chronologically. it might so happen that the cause comes first and then the effect or the effect might lead the cause. in both the situations, the two pair will always come together.
4 – General before Specific
Before moving towards a specific idea, any argument starts with a general statement or general summary. So remember to use the general connotation first and then head over to the specifics of the argument.
Sample Questions - Paragraph Ordering
Type 1 – Arrange the paragraphs
Question 1 :
Order the given sentences into a Paragraph .
A. Passivity is not, of course, universal.
B. In areas where there are no lords or laws, or in frontier zones where all men go armed, the attitude of the peasantry may well be different.
C. So indeed it may be on the fringe of the un-submissive.
D. However, for most of the soil-bound peasants, the problem is not whether to be ordinarily passive or active, but when to pass from one state to another.
E. This depends on an assessment of the political situation.
Correct Option: C
Look at the pronoun in sentence C. Let us find, what is “it” here referring to? It here refers to un-submissive.
In sentence A, it cannot refer to “passivity,” in sentence B “attitude can be referred as un-submissive, in sentence D, “problem cannot be un-submissive and in sentence E, “political situation” cannot be un-submissive.
Therefore, BC is a definite pair. Now, look at the options given. The link BC is only present in option 3, and we need not look any further.
Question 2 :
Rearrange the following six sentences A, B, C, D, E and F in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph.
A. But in the industrial era destroying the enemy’s productive capacity means bombing the factories which are located in the cities.
B. So in the agrarian era, if you need to destroy the enemy’s productive capacity, what you want to do is bum his fields, or if you’re vicious, salt them.
C. Now in the information era, destroying the enemy’s productive capacity means destroying the information infrastructure.
D. How do you do battle with your enemy?
E. The idea is to destroy the enemy’s productive capacity and depending upon the economic foundation, that productive capacity is different in each case
F. About defense, the purpose of the military is to defend the nation and be prepared to do battle with its enemy.
Correct Option: B
Look at the transition word “but” in the first sentence. It signifies that the sentence is expressing an idea contrary to an idea expressed in some previous sentence. Now we need to find that previous sentence.
If we further look at the beginning of the first sentence, it says “but in the industrial era…” which suggests that the contrariness is with respect to eras.Looking further, we see that sentence B and C are also starting with a statement about eras. But the transition word at the start of C is “now” which expresses present era and hence it cannot chronologically come before any other past era.
That is, if the information era is the present era, talk about any other era will come before this.
So sentence B is the correct sentence to come before the first sentence.Likewise, sentence C is the correct sentence to come after the first sentence (sentence C is continuing the idea).
Therefore, we have the link BAC.We see that option 1, 3 and 4 all have the link BAC. Furthermore, all the three options have the link EBAC. Therefore, we only need to arrange D and F.
The sentence F states that “The purpose is —- to battle with the enemy” and D questions “how do you battle with the enemy?” Therefore, D will come after F.
Hence FDEBAC is the correct arrangement.
Arrange the following sentences to form a coherent paragraph:
Renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power are crucial in reducing carbon emissions.
Climate change poses a significant threat to the planet and requires urgent action.
Sustainable practices should be adopted in all aspects of life, including energy consumption and waste management.
International cooperation is essential in addressing global environmental challenges.
Correct answer: BCAD
The paragraph starts with the statement that climate change poses a significant threat to the planet and requires urgent action (sentence b). Then, it emphasizes the importance of sustainable practices in all aspects of life, including energy consumption and waste management (sentence c). Next, it mentions the role of renewable energy sources in reducing carbon emissions (sentence a). After that, it concludes with the suggestion that international cooperation is essential in addressing global environmental challenges (sentence d).
Arrange the following sentences to form a coherent paragraph:
The importance of mental health awareness and support has gained recognition in recent years.
Stigma surrounding mental health should be eliminated to encourage seeking help.
Access to mental health services should be improved and made more affordable.
Psychological well-being is essential for overall health and productivity.
Correct answer: ADBC
The paragraph starts with the statement that the importance of mental health awareness and support has gained recognition in recent years (sentence a). Then, it addresses the need to eliminate stigma surrounding mental health to encourage seeking help (sentence b). Next, it mentions the importance of improving access to mental health services and making them more affordable (sentence d). Finally, it concludes with the statement that psychological well-being is essential for overall health and productivity (sentence c).
Also Check Out
Get over 200+ course One Subscription
Courses like AI/ML, Cloud Computing, Ethical Hacking, C, C++, Java, Python, DSA (All Languages), Competitive Coding (All Languages), TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Amazon, DBMS, SQL and others