Definition of Antonynms
Antonym is a word or phrase which gives the opposite meaning of a word of the same language. Antonyms based questions are often asked in the competitive exams and are considered as a scoring topic.
The three main reasons why Antonyms is important to know:
- Draft interesting write-ups
- Build your vocabulary
- Make your statements and writings factual
Rules for Antonyms
The most basic rule to follow for solving Antonym related questions is knowing your words well. Knowing the meaning of different unusual words aids you to solve tricky questions in the form of fill up or MCQ pattern. Other rules to follow are:
- Know how the words are perceived when written or spoken i.e. whether they have a positive, negative or a neutral tone.
- Know the types of Antonyms –
- Graded Antonyms
- Complimentary Antonyms (AKA relative Antonyms)
- Know what are negative prefixes and how to use them
- dis…………. and so on.
To improve your vocabulary and to learn a bunch of new words for your antonym and synonym question CLICK ON THE BUTTON BELOW