Video courses for company/skill based Preparation
Purchase mock tests for company/skill building
Tips And Tricks And Shortcut To Solve Problem On Ages
Tips and Tricks to solve Problem on Ages :
The problems on ages can be easily solved using some simple tips and tricks. Given below are some quick tips to solve these questions
- Classify the key phrases and arrange the information by assigning variables
- Select only one variable to solve the problem.
- If the information in the question comprises ages at different points of time, assume the present age as ‘x’
- If the information in the question comprises ages of different people, assume the age of the youngest person as ‘x’
- Read the question very carefully. The phrase ‘n time more than’ needs to be understood correctly.
These problems can be categorized into three types.
Type 1: Problem Based on Present Age
In the next 6 years, C will be double the age of D 6 years back. If at present C is 5 years elder to D, then find D’s present age.
Correct answer C
Let D’s present age be x
Given, (x + 5) = C’s age
Given, (x + 5) + 6 = 2(x – 6)
= x + 11 = 2x – 12
x = 23
Type 2: Problem Based on Age Before K Years
Vikram said to his daughter, “I was as old as you are today when you were born.” If Vikram’s age is 45 today, then his daughter’s age 3 years ago was?
Correct answer B
let vikram’s daughter age = z.
Given , 45- z = z .
So, 2z = 45 , z = 22.5.
So, 3 yrs ago, daughter age will be 22.5 – 3 = 19.5.
Type 3: Problem Based on Age After K Years
Lalita is four times the age of Om. If after 3 years, she would be three times of Om, then additional after 3 years, how many time would be her age of Om?
Correct answer A
Let us assume Om’s age as s and Lalita’s age as 4s
Given, 4s + 3 = 3(s + 3)
= 4s + 3 = 3s + 9
s = 6
So, Om’s age is 6 and Lalita’s age is 24.
Therefore, after 6 years Lalita’s will be 30 and Om will be 12. Lalita will be 2.5 times elder.
Read Also: How to solve Problem On Ages Question