Formulas For Decimals And Fractions
Decimals and Fractions Formulas
1.Decimal: A decimal number can be defined as a number whose whole number part and the fractional part is separated by a decimal point. For example, 0.5, 2.55,… etc. It has two parts: The integer part on the left of the decimal point, and the fractional part on the right of the decimal point.
2.Fraction: A fraction is an expression that indicates the quotient of two quantities. For example, 1/2, -1/4, 2/5 … etc. It has two parts: Numerator and Denominator
Formulas for Decimal and Fractions & Types
There are two types of decimal
(a). Non-recurring decimal or terminating decimal: A non-recurring decimal is a non-repeating decimal. It is terminated at some point. For example: 1/5 = 0.5, 125/4 = 31.25
(b). Recurring decimal or non-terminating decimal: A recurring decimal is a repeating decimal. For example: 19/6 = 3.1666666, 21/9 = 2.33333
There are two types of fraction
(a)Common fraction: A common fraction is a fraction in which both numerator and denominator are integers. For example, 2/7, 3/2….etc.
(b) Decimal fraction: A decimal fraction is a fraction in which denominator is an integer power of ten. For example, 1/10, 4/100…etc.
Points to remember in Decimal and Fraction Formulas
- The denominator of a fraction cannot be zero.
- In decimal number, the fractional part’s value is always 0
- If numerator = 0 and denominator ≠ 0, the value of fraction is zero.
- If the denominator = 0, the value of fraction is infinity.
- If the numerator and denominator contain the same number of decimal places, we can remove the decimal sign.