Regression Testing in Software Engineering
- In software engineering, regression refers to the “return of a bug”.Regression is the term which means re-testing the modified parts of the application.
- Regression Testing is a type of performance testing which is used to check the software functionality after changes.
- This testing is used to ensure that changes in the existing code or modified code does not impact the existing functionality of the software product.
- It is done when new features are added in the software or changes are made in the requirements or fixing the defects/bugs.
- This is done to make sure that the application works correctly with the modified functionality.
- Previous test cases are re-executed to verify the effect of change.
- Automated test cases are executed because executing test cases manually are time consuming. Hence automated test cases in time saving and efficient method.
Need of Regression Testing :
- New features are added in the software system
- To fix the defects/bugs
- When changes in the environment
- When changes in the requirements and code is modified
- When fix the performance issues of the software
Levels Applicable For :
- Unit Testing
- Integration Testing
- System Testing
- Acceptance Testing
Regression Testing Tools :
- Ranorex Studio
- Quick Test Professional (QTP)
- Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
Advantages of Regression Testing :
- It ensures that new functionality does not impact the existing functionality of the software product.
- It improves the quality of the software system.
- This testing increase the performance of the application.
- It provides more reliability.
- Automation test cases are executed on this testing.
- This testing is ideal for small applications.
Disadvantages of Regression Testing :
- If manual test cases are executed then it can be time-consuming.
- It has to be done if small changes in the code are made.
- It can be resource consuming if automated tools are not used.
- Select the best automation tool for continuous regression.
- It can be costly to test.
- Defects are find at a very late stage
Following are related articles for reading –