Beta Testing in Software Engineering
- In the development of the software, this is a second and last phase of testing.
- This testing is performed after the alpha testing but before the delivering of the product to the customers or market.
- Beta testing is also known as “Field Testing” or “Pre-release Testing”.
- This testing is performed at the client site or the end users or stakeholder of the product.
- Beta testing is a type of acceptance testing which focuses on the quality of the software product.
- The users verifies the software and give feedback to the development team about the functionality, performance, quality and usability of the software.
- It ensures that software product is ready to use for real time users or public.
- This testing minimizes product failure risks.
- It checks the functionality, reliability, security, robustness of the software product.
- This testing involves only black box testing.
Goals of Beta Testing :
- To enhances the quality, performance and functionality of the software product.
- To reduces the failure risk of the product.
- To provide feedback from the users to the developers.
- To check the reliability, robustness, security of the software product.
Process of Beta Testing :
- Test Product
- Product Launch
- Gather and evaluate feedback
Advantages of Beta Testing :
- Beta testing improves the quality of the software product.
- It minimizes the product failure risks.
- This testing helps to get feedback from the users.
- It helps to find defects or issues in the software product.
- This testing is cost-effective than alpha testing.
- It is performed at end user’s site.
Disadvantages of Beta Testing :
- Beta testing is difficult to discover end users willing to test the software product.
- This testing produces little or useless data.
- The software engineers have no control over the process of testing.
- It is a time-consuming process.
- The defect reporting of the identified defects is not proper and systematic.
- The testing and test environment is not well defined and under the control of development team.
Following are related articles for reading –