Video courses for company/skill based Preparation
(Check all courses)Get Prime Video
Purchase mock tests for company/skill building
(Check all mocks)Get Prime mock
Alpha Testing in Software Engineering
- Alpha Testing is a type of acceptance testing which is used to find the defects/bugs in the software application before delivering the product to the customers or public.
- This testing is used to determine the readiness for beta testing.
- Alpha testing is performed at the end of software development and before Beta Testing.
- This testing is performed at the developer’s site – testing environment by the internal teams.
- In this testing, only the functionality and usability of the application is evaluated.
- This testing is done by software engineers or quality assurance team.
- Alpha testing involves both black box testing as well as white box testing.
- It requires 1-2 weeks per test cycle. It is based on how many bugs are identified and how many new features are released.
Phases of Alpha Testing :
Alpha testing contains two phases –
- The first phase consists of testing by developers in which defects are identified and detected quickly.
- The second phase of testing is done by quality assurance team for additional testing i.e. to ensure that product works properly or not.
Process of Alpha Testing :
- Analyze the design specification
- Review the functional requirements
- Create a test plan and test cases
- Execute test plan
- Find log issues
- Retesting after fixing the issues
Goal of Alpha Testing :
- It ensures that software should work properly according to the customer’s requirement for which it is created.
- This testing helps to find the critical issues/defects in the software product.
- The main aim of this testing is to provide the feedback from the customers.
- It gives the answer of the question “Does the product works ?”
Advantages of Alpha Testing :
- Feedback gets earlier which helps to improve the software quality.
- Build confidence to deliver the software product.
- It provides better test management.
- It helps to analyze the risks before delivering the product.
- It is cost-effective with respect to similiar data gathering techniques.
Disadvantages of Alpha Testing :
- It is not expected to test all the functionality of the software product.
- Reliability and security are not tested.
- It can take a long time to complete execution cycle.
- Only the business requirements are scoped.
Following are related articles for reading –