Pair of Socks Puzzle
Puzzle on Pair of Socks
Premise – In a drawer, you have an equal number of pairs of socks that are identical and are of red and blue.
Rule – You can only pull out one sock at a time. But you cannot look at the sock before pulling it out.
Objective – What is the maximum number of tries it will take before you have a perfect pair of socks?
The maximum number of tries it will take before obtaining a perfect pair is 3.
- On the first try, we will pick either a red or a blue sock.
- Say we pick a red sock.
- Now on the second try, we will again pick either a red or blue.
- if we pick a red, then this red and the earlier form a pair and we got the perfect pair.
- else we pick a blue and go for the third try.
- Now on the third try, we will pick red or blue.
- But now since we have a color for each pair already
- if we pick red, we have a pair of red socks.
- if we pick blue we have a pair of blue socks.