How Will You Mitigate Conflicts Among Your Team Mates?
How will you mitigate conflicts among your team mates?
“How will you mitigate conflicts among your team mates?” or “How will you resolve internal conflicts among your team mates?” is a common question that can be asked in an HR interview. In this page you will get the detailed answer of this topic.
- Why “How will you mitigate conflicts among your team mates is asked?”
- How to answer: “What steps will you take to resolve a conflict in your team?”
- Sample answers: “If there is a conflict in your team, how will you handle it?”
Why "How will you mitigate conflicts among your team mates" is asked?"
The question regarding resolving a fight or conflict among teammates is put forth before a candidate to check how capable they are of managing a group of people and maintain absolute harmony in it. You are observed and remarked on your statements that deliver your personality to the interviewer who is looking for an employee with an extra doze of patience, resilience and people management skills.
How to Answer: "What steps will you take to resolve a conflict among your team mates?"
This question is a situational type question, where the interviewer expects the candidate to describe a situation where they had to mitigate conflicts among teammates. To answer this question, you would have to state all the required details that can be necessary to judge your potential in being a competent leader. You should frame your answer using the following pattern:-
Do's and Don'ts of Team Conflicts
Sample Answers: "If there is a conflict among your team mates, how will you handle it?"
Using the above guidelines, you can frame your own answer for this question. Below we have provided sample answers which you can use for reference.
Answer 1 :-
My college appointed me as the cultural head in my last year and when we had our annual fest, I had to go through a lot of ups and downs to a point where I wanted to give up the role. While selecting teams, we had to include students from all the batches, i.e. from first till the last year students. In this scenario, obviously, the senior status came into play and it was reported to me by the first years that the seniors didn’t treat them well. Me being the leader, called for a meeting and engaged each of the members into a fun but logical activity. This required them to pair up in groups of four.
Now, the click here was that each of the four members had to be from different years. So, once the activity started, the seniors and the juniors had to devise strategies together to win the game. In this process, all of the team members realized that age or batch doesn’t matter. The senior most student might lack a capability which could be fulfilled by the junior most and vice versa. After this fun session, there was no more conflict in my team and we successfully managed to organize the event.
My learning from this incident was that it is not necessary to engage into a word fight and prove your point. As a leader, it is my responsibility to come up with an effective solution to the conflict that doesn’t only resolve the present fight but also helps me to prevent any such conflicts in the future. So temporary fixes is not the solution, one must look for a more solid and permanent solution,
While trying to resolve a conflict, according to me, patience and having emotional intelligence is most important. Dealing with people when they’re angry is more difficult, so to calm them down, listening to their problems and then communicating effectively to all the parties concerned is necessary. So, when I had to face this situation in my last work place, I resorted to actively listen and be impartial when giving out a solution. This helped me a lot to mitigate a couple of disagreements in my team.
- Have you led any team? Answer
- Describe a time when you had to display leadership skills. Answer
- Who is a good leader? Answer
- What is the difference between a team leader and a team manager? Answer
- Are you comfortable leading a team? Answer
- What are the qualities that make you a good leader? Answer
- In a team which member is the most important to you? Answer
- What is conflict management? Answer
- How will you mitigate conflicts among your teammates? Answer
- Can you work under supervision? Answer
- What is healthy competition in the workplace? Answer
- What will you do if an employee does not agree with your decision? Answer
- What do you think makes a leader successful? Answer
- What steps have you taken to make sure your subordinates get along with each other? Answer
- Do you get along with others? Answer
- What do you think makes a leader unsuccessful? Answer
- How do you lead people? Answer
- Have you ever made a decision that your team members did not approve of? Answer
- Tell me about a time when you provided unconventional solutions to a problem. Answer
- How do you react to the mistakes of your team members? Answer