How Do You React To The Mistakes Of Your Subordinates?
Tell Me About A Time When You Were Reprimanded For Something Your Subordinates Did.
When interviewing for managerial positions, interviewers ask questions like how you will react if a subordinate makes a mistake. These questions are very tricky to answer. On this page, you will find a guide to answering such questions.
- Why: “How do you react to the mistakes of your subordinates” is asked?
- How to answer questions like “Have you ever been scolded for a team member’s mistakes”?
- Sample Answers:- “How do you react to the mistakes of your subordinates?”
Why: “How Do You React To The Mistakes Of Your Subordinates” is Asked?
This is a common question, asked to see the temper of the candidate. When a team member makes a mistake, how do you react to it? Do you get mad at them? Do you ignore it? Do you try to cover up for them? Or Do you try to make them understand their mistakes?
Your answer to this question will determine whether or not you are a good leader.
How to Answer Questions Like “Have You Ever Been Scolded For A Team Member's Mistakes?"
To answer questions like this, it is best to relate real-life instances. If you have been in a position where you were scolded for someone else’s mistake, you can talk about it.
Steps to Answer:-
2. You can also include at what stage the mistake was caught?
3. Was it early on in the process, and it was rectified easily. Or was it in later stages, and it was difficult to rectify.
4. How did the upper management react?
5. Were you reprimanded for it? If yes, how?
6. How did you address the situation with the employee who made the mistake?
7. Did you reprimand the employee or try to understand how the mistake occurred?
8. Conclude your answer with how the incident impacted you and the concerned employee.
Sample Answers:- “How Do You React To The Mistakes Of Your Subordinates?”
Refer the sample answers given below.
There was one time when an intern on my team made a mistake. Since it was during rush hours, her work was not reviewed properly and it ended up causing a huge problem. I was called in by my supervisor, and he was pretty mad at me. He did not scold me, but he went on to detail how the mistake could have been avoided.
In the end, I had a meeting with the intern. I spoke to her about her mistakes and how we could avoid them in the future.
If one of my subordinates makes a mistake I’ll immediately point it out to them. Mostly I will set up a discussion with them and help them rectify their mistake. If the mistake was very serious, and have damaging consequences then I rectify it while showing them how it could be done. And lastly, I ask them if they are having any issues with the work and try to resolve their doubts.
- Have you led any team? Answer
- Describe a time when you had to display leadership skills. Answer
- Who is a good leader? Answer
- What is the difference between a team leader and a team manager? Answer
- Are you comfortable leading a team? Answer
- What are the qualities that make you a good leader? Answer
- In a team which member is the most important to you? Answer
- What is conflict management? Answer
- How will you mitigate conflicts among your teammates? Answer
- Can you work under supervision? Answer
- What is healthy competition in the workplace? Answer
- What will you do if an employee does not agree with your decision? Answer
- What do you think makes a leader successful? Answer
- What steps have you taken to make sure your subordinates get along with each other? Answer
- Do you get along with others? Answer
- What do you think makes a leader unsuccessful? Answer
- How do you lead people? Answer
- Have you ever made a decision that your team members did not approve of? Answer
- Tell me about a time when you provided unconventional solutions to a problem. Answer