Python Program to Minimize the Maximum Difference between Heights
Minimize the Maximum Difference between Heights
In this we need to either increase or decrease the height of every tower by k (only once) where k > 0. The task is Python Program to Minimize the Maximum Difference between Heights of the longest and the shortest tower after modifications print out this difference.
- Input : arr = [2, 16, 9], k = 6
- Output : Maximum difference is 5.
- Explanation : We change 2 to 8, 16 to 10 and 9 to 15. Maximum difference is 7
(between 8 and 15). We can’t get a lower difference.
- Start by passing array and value of k to function
- Declare a variable n and assign half the sum of minimum and maximum element of array
- Declare a empty list name new to store modified array
- Iterate for all the element in array
- If difference between maximum and minimum element of array is less then k then return the difference between max and min of array
- Else if, the current element is greater then or equals to n then append the defense between current element and k to new array
- Else append the sum of current element and k to new array
- Return the difference between maximum and minimum element of new array
- Print the returned value by the function
Space & Time Complexity
- Time Complexity: O(nlogn)
- Space Complexity: O(n)
def profit(arr, k): n = (min(arr) + max(arr)) // 2 new =  for i in arr: if max(arr) - min(arr) < k: return max(arr) - min(arr) elif i >= n: new.append(i - k) else: new.append(i + k) return max(new) - min(new) array = [2, 9, 16] K = 6 print("Maximum difference is :", profit(array, K))
Maximum difference is : 7
Prime Course Trailer
Get PrepInsta Prime & get Access to all 200+ courses offered by PrepInsta in One Subscription
If you want to practice similar Questions click on given button.
Login/Signup to comment