3 Tier Architecture in DBMS
3 tier Architecture in DBMS
In this article, we will learn about 3 Tier Architecture in DBMS.
- DBMS architecture plays a key role in the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of the database management system of the company
- All the dynamic web application over the internet uses this three-tier architecture
- The proper selection of database architecture will solve many design problems initially and also helps in quick and secured data access
- Any database management system uses any of the following 2 architectures
- 2 tier architecture (two-level)
- 3 tier architecture (three-level)
3 tier architecture
3 tier architectureis the most popularly used DBMS architecture
- As the name suggests three tiers it consists of three components in addition with client side and server side application of two-tier architecture, it consists application server layer as an intermediate tier between these two.
Components of 3 tier architecture
1. Client-side :
- It is nothing but the presentation layer (your PC, Tablet, Mobile, etc.)
- It sends a request to the server side via the application server layer
2. Application server :
- It is present as an intermediate tier between the client and server tires
- Unlike two-tier architecture, in this requests are not directly send from the client to the server side, when a client sends a request first it is transferred to the application server then this application server transfers request to the server side, followed by query processing and transaction management
- This intermediate layer also act as a senses medium for the exchange of partially processed data between server and client
- Nothing but the database of the server side application
- It sends responses to the requests received from the client side to the application server and the application server, in turn, transfer them to the client side.
Examples of three-tier architecture
- All large dynamic web applications present over the internet or examples of this 3 tier architecture
- A large website like prepinsta.com over the internet is the best example, isn’t it??
Purpose of three-tier architecture
- Integrity: because of the middle layer between client and server side data corruption can be removed
- Security: as there is no direct interaction between client and server we can restrict unauthorized access if any
- To provide a clear separation between the user application and physical database
- Program data independence and multiple views of data
- Because of the above features, a large number of users can access a database easily
- There might be complexity in implementation and communication
- Sometimes it becomes difficult for interaction due to the presence of middle layers and responses may be delayed but they can be easily overcome by efficient server administration.