Why C is called Middle Level Programming Language
Why is C a Middle Level Language?
C is a middle-level language because it binds the gap between machine level language and high-level language.It can be used for both, system programming (like as operating system) As well as application programming (like as spreadsheet, Transaction Management Systems).
Why C is a middle-level language?
- It binds the gap between machine level language and high-level language.
- It can be used for both, system programming (like as operating system)
- As well as application programming (like as spreadsheet).
Middle-level language are more related to a machine as well as human language. So that’s why it is called “Middle-level language”.
C language merges the best element of high-level language with the rule and flexibility of assembly language. C allows the manipulation of bits and addresses and bytes.
- High level – Python, Visual Basic, Delphi, Perl, PHP, ECMAScript, Ruby, C#, Java
- Middle level – Java, C++, C, FORTH, Macro-assemble
- Low level – Assembly Language, Machine Code
- It also supports high-level language features.
- It is static typing.
- Garbage collection.
- Virtual machines.
- Middle-level languages are closely related to machine language as well as human language.
- It is user friendly as compared to the previous language.
- Efficiency is increased.
- It is reusable.
We have languages that are classified into three categories:-
High level language:-
A higher-level language(HLL) would be the language that we humans speak like simple English. HLL is closer to humans than it is to machines.
C is only a programming language that can be used in Device drivers, to create programs or software to access Hardware levels.
Python, Visual Basic, Perl, PHP examples of a high-level language.
These languages can be used to perform system-level coding i.e. operating system and application coding.
Example – C, C++, Java
A low-level programming language is a programming language that provides little or no abstraction from a computer’s instruction set architecture—commands or functions in the language map that is structurally similar to the processor’s instructions.
Basically, the whole code is performing actions directly on computers hardware, memory, CPU etc
Example : Machine cod, assembly language
Get over 200+ course One Subscription
Courses like AI/ML, Cloud Computing, Ethical Hacking, C, C++, Java, Python, DSA (All Languages), Competitive Coding (All Languages), TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Amazon, DBMS, SQL and others