Video courses for company/skill based Preparation
Purchase mock tests for company/skill building
Top 30 Most Asked Software Engineering Interview Questions
Software Engineering Questions for 2020-21 Interviews
Why Software Engineering?
There are various models in software engineering which assist the developer to choose the most feasible option as per the user requirement. It is one of the most easy yet important topic which is frequently asked in both college semester exams as well as placement interviews and examinations.
2020 Software Engineering
Updated Job Interview Question Series
Ques 1. What is Software Engineering?
Answer: Software engineering is made up of two terms that is software and engineering.
- Software refers to the set of instructions that tells a computer what to do and how to perform any tasks.
- Engineering is the work to build and design something in an effective manner.
Software Engineering is an engineering branch to develop a software product using some scientific principles and procedures. The result will be an reliable and good quality product.
Software engineer is a person who develop and maintain the software product. The study of developing and maintaining software is called software engineering.
Ques 2. What is SDLC OR Software Development Life Cycle?
Answer: Here are various software development models which is used in software development life cycle to represent the process of building a software. SDLC models defines all the phases of software development.
SDLC models can have a different methodology but the phases remains the same.The development team chooses the best SDLC model to develop a software product so that the efficient and reliable software product is developed.
Ques 6. What is software project management?
Answer: Software project management is process of managing all activities like time, cost and quality management involved in software development.
Ques 7. Explain the term Baseline.
Answer: A baseline is a milestone on the project which is usually defined by the project manager. Baselines are used to track the progress of the project from time to time to assess the overall health of the project.
Ques 8. What are the responsibilities of a Software Project Manager?
Answer: A Software Project Manager is responsible for driving the project towards successful completion. It is the responsibility of the Software Project Manager to make sure the entire team follows a systematic and well-defined approach towards the development of software.
A software project manager is also responsible for the following tasks:
- Project planning
- Project status tracking
- Resource management
- Risk management
- Project delivery within time and budget.
Ques 9. What is Software Configuration Management?
Answer: Software Configuration Management is a process to systematically manage, organize, and control the changes in the documents, codes, and other entities during the Software Development Life Cycle. It is abbreviated as the SCM process in software engineering. The primary goal is to increase productivity with minimal mistakes.
Ques 10. What is the difference between Quality Assurance and Quality Control?
Answer: Key Differences are:-
- Quality Assurance is ensuring that the delivered software has the least number of defects possible. Quality Control is the process of ensuring that the quality of the product is maintained in the long run.
- Quality Assurance is done by the testing team of the project while Quality Control is usually done by a dedicated support team, who is responsible for the quality of the product even if the product is under the maintenance phase of software engineering.
Ques 11. What is the difference between Verification and Validation?
Answer: Key Difference are:-
- Verification is the process of ensuring that the product is built right, from a process and standards perspective. Validation is the process of ensuring that we build the right product, from a customer perspective.
- Verification is a static testing methodology wherein the product is tested without executing the code, while validation is a dynamic testing methodology.
Ques 12. How can you gather requirements?
Answer: Requirements can be gathered from users via interviews, surveys, task analysis, brainstorming, domain analysis, prototyping, studying existing usable version of software, and by observation.
Ques 13. What is the SDLC model that you have used in your previous project?
Answer: The answer to this question depends on the experience of an interview candidate. If the candidate answers the SDLC model to be the Waterfall model, then the interviewer will start asking questions about the Waterfall model and if he answers it to be Agile, then the interviewer will start asking terms related to Agile methodology such as Scrum, Sprint, etc.
Ques 14. What is software metric?
Answer: Software Metrics provide measures for various aspects of software process and software product. They are divided into –
- Requirement metrics : Length requirements, completeness
Product metrics :Lines of Code, Object oriented metrics, design and test metrics
- Process metrics: Evaluate and track budget, schedule, human resource.
Ques 15. Briefly define top-down and bottom-up design model.
- A top down approach is also known as step-wise design approach.
- A top down approach simply refers to the “decomposition” means breaking down a component into sub-components/sub-parts.
- In the top down approach, testing takes place from top to the bottom which follows the control flow pr architectural structure of the software system.
- This approach is also known as “inductive reasoning” and the term refers to the synthesis.
- Bottom-Up Approach is an integration testing in which testing takes place from bottom to up that is lower-level modules are tested first with higher level modules then upper-level modules are tested.
- This testing takes help of drivers for testing the software which are the temporary module for integration testing.
Ques 16. What are various phases of SDLC?
Answer: The generic phases of SDLC are: Requirement Gathering, System Analysis and Design, Coding, Testing and implementation. The phases depend upon the model we choose to develop software.
Ques 17. Which SDLC model is the best?
Answer: SDLC Models are adopted as per requirements of development process. It may very software-to-software to ensuring which model is suitable.
We can select the best SDLC model if following answers are satisfied –
- Is SDLC suitable for selected technology to implement the software ?
- Is SDLC appropriate for client’s requirements and priorities ?
- Is SDLC model suitable for size and complexity of the software ?
- Is the SDLC model suitable for type of projects and engineering we do ?
- Is the SDLC appropriate for the geographically co-located or dispersed developers ?
Ques 18. What is software scope?
Answer: Software scope is a well-defined boundary, which encompasses all the activities that are done to develop and deliver the software product.
The software scope clearly defines all functionalities and artifacts to be delivered as a part of the software. The scope identifies what the product will do and what it will not do, what the end product will contain and what it will not contain.
Ques 19. What is project estimation?
Answer: It is a process to estimate various aspects of software product in order to calculate the cost of development in terms of efforts, time and resources. This estimation can be derived from past experience, by consulting experts or by using pre-defined formulas.
Ques 20. What is baseline?
Answer: Baseline is a measurement that defines completeness of a phase. After all activities associated with a particular phase are accomplished, the phase is complete and acts as a baseline for next phase.