What is the difference between confidence and over confidence?
Understanding Confidence and Over Confidence
There is a very thin line between the difference of confidence and over confidence. It is essential to understand where the boundary lies and adopt measures to not cross the line.
First you should know what meaning does the two words hold. Only then will it be clear as to what is the actual difference between the two.
What Is Confidence
- The feeling or belief that one can have faith in or rely on someone or something.
- One must be sure of his own abilities and understand his own limitations.
- A person who is confident, knows every critical aspect of thing, person or situation by introspection & cognizance.
What is Over Confidence
- Overconfidence is the overestimation of one’s abilities or the ability of a particular object.
- His dogmatic & false image of himself can make him in self indulgence to the level of convincing others that he is always right.
- Overconfidence is excessive belief in their own abilities ignoring the fact that their decision can be wrong too.
***Points to Remember***
- Be Convincing
- Don’t be Overconfident or Negative
- Do not start answering or defending yourself all of a sudden. Take a deep breathe, relax. Let the things settle first.
- Inquire what makes him think/say so.
- Offer to further explain yourself on your resume in case there is some misunderstanding.
- Then when given a chance, explain your resume particularly focusing on misunderstood facts.
- Acknowledge the fact that the interviewer gave you a chance to explain yourself and thank him for the valuable time that he gave you.
Best Possible Answers for
"Difference Between Confidence & Over Confidence"
There is a thin line between confidence and overconfidence. When you think that you have such potential to do that work, that’s your confidence. And if you think that You are the only one who can do that work easily and nobody can do that as you can, then that’s your overconfidence.
So, confidence is good but overconfidence is not good. Overconfidence just messed your work.
According to me, there’s a slight difference between confidence and overconfidence. When you think that, ‘ you can do it’, this is confidence and when you think that, ‘only you can do it’, this is overconfidence. Overconfidence is when you start underestimating other people.
“I can do this work” – confidence.
“Only I can do this work” – overconfidence.
Confidence is more about respecting the potential of yourself while overconfidence is about disrespecting the potential of others. Being confident helps you reach your goals while overconfidence takes you further away from your goals.
I can do it – Confidence.
Only I can do it – Overconfidence.
I’m suitable for this job – Confidence.
I’m only one suitable for this job – Overconfidence.
Confidence is being comfortable in your own skin and expressing yourself without feeling insecure or nervous. It comes when one knows one’s strengths as well as faults, and accepts them to improve oneself. Overconfidence is when a person ‘believes’ that he/she is right every single time and that there’s nothing the others ‘need’ do, but follow him/her happily.
According to me confidence is the positive attitude for doing any work and thinking that I have the capability to do the task, but over confidence is nothing but the attitude for doing any work, having thinking that no one can do that task in a better way other than me.
Confidence is showing their ability.
Overconfidence is underestimating others.
Confidence is the good trait to have where a person is sure about his course of action or activity and it comes from past success and right decisions.
Overconfidence is excessive belief in their own abilities ignoring the fact that their decision can be wrong too.
How do we understand if we're confident or over confident?
During an interview it is important that you maintain your confidence level to a point that you do not start bragging about your achievements or qualities and sound rude. Only being honest and humble can you maintain your confidence level.
What if we do not know the answer of any question and lose confidence?
In such case, it’s best that you confidently accept that you do not the answer and move onto the next. It’s no use acting like you’re thinking and come out with nothing. Be confident even if wrong and that’ll credit you some scores.