History of C++ Language
History of C++
Basically, the concept of C++ is introduced in the early ’80s (1982) by a software engineer Bjarne Stroustrup was doing work for his Ph.D. thesis in AT& T Bell Labs(American Telephone& Telegraph), located in Murray Hills, NewJersey, USA
Definition of C++
According to Stroustrup C++ is a general-purpose, high-level, compiler-based and objected-oriented Programming Language.
Stroustrup is very interested in the C language because of its powerful features like –
- Multipurpose programming,
- Dynamic memory allocation,
- Midlevel flavour
Motivation from Simula67
- The Major disadvantage of the C language is, data is freely moving around the functions.
- Due to this, It is not able to design super secure applications because of the
absence of data hiding features
- To avoid this problem the concept of
classesis added to traditional C language which was picked from
- Hence It was named as
C with classesinitially.
Naming as C++
Initially, people call this language as
- C with classes
- Superset of C
- Extension of C
- Advanced version of C
- Increment of C and many names…
To avoid this confusion in 1983 it was renamed as
C++ from C with classes
- C++ main objective is to mix the flavors of data hiding with C to design super secure applications
- Object Oriented programming is a programming style that is associated with the concept of Class, Objects and various other concepts revolving around these two, like Inheritance, Polymorphism, Abstraction, Encapsulation etc.
- These ideas made C++ powerful to design both enterprise and system applications
Unity (game engine) and unreal engines which are two most popular platforms to write games are codes in C++/C#