TCS Technical Round Questions
Find the most asked theory Technical Interview Questions which were most asked in TCS Round, these questions are submitted by students who appeared for TCS Interview Round.
Also, visit our Main TCS Dashboard here to study for Technical, Coding, HR questions and Resume making strategies.
CheckList Given by TCS HR to your Interviewer, this is suggested topics he must stick to and only ask questions from. Depending on if you are from Coding or non Coding Branch, they will have different Checklist for you.
For CS/IT/MCA and other coding Domains –
- Try to stick to Technologies and Languages mentioned in Resume.
- Basic Questions on C / OOPS / Software Engineering / DSA i.e. you will necessarily be asked questions from these.
- If Resume mentions the any of the following -Basic Questions on DBMS / Computer Networks / Operating Systems, then ask questions on the same.
- Ask Questions about final year projects
For Non Coding Branches like EEE, Mech etc –
- Stick to Technologies and Languages mentioned in Resume.
- Very basic Questions on C / OOPS / other programming Language mentioned in Resume.
- Talk about Final year Projects – Can ask to make Circuit Diag / Diagrams / Formulas / Definitions only from topics related to Final year project of his respective Branch.
- Ask student about his favourite subject and ask basic questions on it.
We have collected about 475 sample interview experiences and made the list of most asked questions in TCS interview, best strategy and Syllabus
TCS Vs other Mass hiring Companies Interview Process Comparison
- TCS likes to go in Technical details of your Branch Projects, definitions, diagrams, code etc
- Other companies like Cognizant and Accenture specifically like to keep it non technical and focus more on English
- Duration of Interview
- While in Accenture and CTS the duration of Interview is around 15 mins
- For TCS it ranges anywhere between 30 mins to 45 mins
- Coding Questions
- Companies like Accenture and Deloitte don’t ask coding questions at all
- But, TCS, Wipro will ask you basic coding questions like Palindrome, pattern printing etc even if you’re from Non CS IT round.
- C / OOPS Questions
- TCS does ask C / OOPS concept to all Branches. Well, you’re applying to an IT company they expect you to know a little about C / OOPS theory.
- Companies like Accenture, Deloitte don’t ask C / OOPS concept. But, their training is very difficult, so even if you get selected. You need to learn all about coding and technical aspects
- Freedom of Topic Selection
- All bulk companies give freedom of topic selection to you, generally the interviewer will ask you the favourite subject and will ask questions from that, or will ask you the questions from topics, chapters and projects mentioned in your Resume.
Student X : For Off Campus drive I had to wait for 5 hours for my TR to start. When I entered the room Interviewer asked my how long I was waiting(Told him 5 hours) so he offered me to drink water.
Student Y: Interviewer took my Resume and looked on my Resume and asked why I had low percentage in class 12 despite having good percentage in 10th and Engineering.
I told him that i was suffering with malaria exactly at the time of the exam and didn’t even have strength to write the whole paper
Firstly I wished afternoon to my interviewer.I was nervous as it was my interview experience, he made me comfortable and asked some few questions regarding my CV like branch
What is the use of printf function in C?
Here user had said he knew C, if you say that you know some other language like Java then he will ask Language specific questions.
- In C programming language, printf() function is used to print the “character, string, float, integer, octal and hexadecimal values” onto the output screen. Both are defined in stdio.h library.
What is typeDef in C?
typedef : typedef is used to give data type a new name, for example
// C program to demonstrate typedef
// After this line BYTE can be used
// in place of unsifned char
typedef unsigned char BYTE;
BYTE b1, b2;
b1 = ‘c’;
printf(“%c “, b1);
How would you define a constant variable ?
A constant, like a variable, is a memory location where a value can be stored. Unlike variables, constants never change in value. You must initialize a constant when it is created. C++ has two types of constants: literal and symbolic.
A literal constant is a value typed directly into your program wherever it is needed. For example, consider the following statement:
long width = 5;
This statement assigns the integer variable width the value 5. The 5 in the statement is a literal constant. You can’t assign a value to 5, and its value can’t be changed.
What is stdio.h?
- What is use of scanf()
- What is a function in c?
- What is the use of Define in C?
- Size of integer data type?
- It depends on compiler, most compilers have int data type as 4 byte storage
Note – If you don’t know Java then ignore Java questions below and study OOPS concept. But, if you say Java then apart from OOPS concept he will also ask Java specific OOPS questions. We think it is better if you say C++ rather than Java, if you know both of them.
- Rate urself in JAVA?
Follow – up
- What is OOP?
- What is OOP Concept?
- Difference b/w encapsulation and data hiding.
- Final Keyword.
- Program in Java to check prime number.
- Program in Java to print star pattern.
- Is java platform dependent or not?
- Difference between C++ and Java?
- What is inheritance?
- What is polymorphism?
- What is operator overloading?
- What is inheritance?
- What is data abstraction?
- What is data encapsulation?
- What are constructors and destructors?
- What is a class and what are objects?
- what is final keyword in java?
- Abstract Classes vs Interfaces
- How to implement Multiple Inheritance in C++?
- What are the Features of OOPS?
- What is Data Structure?
- b/w Array and Linked List?
- if we have the data of a banking system, then which data structure would you prefer to use?”.
At first, I replied using hash map, since each customer has its unique account no. Then they asked why hash map?
I said because it would processes the query related to each customer in O(1) complexity.
Then they asked for reducing the space complexity, again at first I said using linked list but at the last we arrived at common consensus of using BST.
I was from ECE branch so had some branch related questions.The panelist were googling some ece questions and then asking you.It was basic .They were not from ece background so you can start your answer with any details you know about it (correct) and then extend your answer.They won’t be able to make out.They just want to know the basic thing.
- What is companding in EC?
- What is High modulation rate?
- What are DT signals?
In Mechanical Most of the questions were from my Resume.
- First most of the questions were from my Resume class 10,12 percentages etc
- Then he asked me about my Favourite subjects
- Then he asked me questions on my favourite topic
- Then he asked about project
- Asked to make relevant diagram about my project
- Formulas related to project
Please add your interview experience for other branches in the comment section below –
It will be added here
Student X: Then he said you may leave and asked me do you have any questions.
Always ask questions about technologies you can work on TCS, How is it like for the interviewer to work in the company, Corporate Social Activities or specialisation on which interviewer works on.
This questions is asked to check if you are nervous on not, not asking any questions shows that you are nervous and not conversational.
Finally he told me any queries for me then I asked in which field I have to work then he said no specific field later on it will be decided based on your performance, hopefully u will get selected for the next round , be prepared for the next round and suggest me to focus on ur communication . I thanked him and shook hands asked me to send the next candidate.
CS Student who made android app as final year project
- Asked about my final year Projects.
- Android Architecture draw
- Android Layout draw
Creating a text input in Android app
- Lifecycle of android app. Onstart, onResume, onPause etc.
Summary for Final year Project
Questions on your final year project will definitely be asked in the interview make sure you know the following –
- All diagrams related to project
- Algorithm(if any) for your project
- Basic definitions of the concepts used in project
- A little in detail about the related subject of final year project
The interview will give you points out of 10 for each of the following –
- Command on Procedural Language i.e C
- Command on any Object Oriented Language
- Command on General Branch specific knowledge
- Verbal Communication
- Time Management skills
- Outgoing and Friendly
- Team Player and Collaborative
Human Resource (HR)
- Relocation willingness
- Culture Fit with TCS
- Knowledge about TCS
- Work ethics
- Dress Code
- Positive attitude
Finally, all the scores are added and it is decided to select top X% of the students.
Note – Scores of Written round are also added here.
Now, TCS recommends asking student which topic he likes or knows and then interviewer should ask questions on this section.
He will ask questions on C and OOPS to CS/IT guys and only C to non CS/IT guys and then will ask you about your subject preference.
If you say DBMS then he will ask questions on this section –
- Tell which subject you read recently for interview – DBMS.
Follow Up Questions –
- Tell about ur educational background- explained.
- Tell which subject you read recently for interview – DBMS.
- What is DBMS.?
- What is advantage of DBMS?
- What is redundancy?
- How to remove redundancy?
- What is Normalization?
- Tell about normal forms?
- What is DDL,DML,DCL?
- Write Query to create a table?
- Copy data from one table to another table?
Second max salary of an employee
Right outer join query and tabulated output
Normalization definition and anomalies
Give employee table asked some simple SQL query
- What is Indexing and Clustering in RDBMS? Why we used?
- Types of Joins in RDBMS
- Write a nested query.
- Threads in OS
- What are different types of Scheduling Algorithm?
- What is SJF?
- What is FCFS?
- What is priority scheduling?
- What is SDLC
- What is Waterfall model
- What is spiral model
- What is white box testing
- What is black box testing
This was Technical round. The questions were :
- Introduce yourself.
- Why you choose to do M.Tech.
- What is static variable?
- What are pre-processor directives?
- What are style sheets?
- What is the linking tag in HTML?
- What is Waterfall model?
- How to call a constructor using another constructor? (using super keyword).
- What is OOPS?
- What are the advantages of OOPS (polymorphism, dynamic binding, inheritance, class, object, message passing).
- What is polymorphism?
- What is Cloud computing?
- What is IOT?
- What is big data?
Please submit the questions asked to you in TCS in the form below-
We are sure PrepInsta would have helped you in Placements, help us back ^_^.