Interview Experience for CTS 6.5 LPA Package Profile Position
- Name: Suryakumar
- Branch: CSE
- College: SRM, Chennai
- Type of Interview: On-Campus (6.5 LPA)
The training and placement officer of our college informed us that Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) had introduced a new job role known as the Associates for the 2018 batch. The salary package for this designation is approximately 6.5 LPA. On hearing about such an opportunity, everyone applied for this post. Since too many students registered for the event, a pre-screening test was conducted to retrench candidates.
The pre-screening test on Hackerrank. In this test, 2 coding questions of varying difficulty levels (easy, medium, and difficult) were given. Approximately 800 students participated in this round out of which only 100 qualified for the next round. I completed two questions fully and one partially. Luckily, I was one of the selected candidates and so was eligible for the Cognizant campus rounds.
Cognizant employs a 3 round selection process in its recruitment drive.
- Written Test
- Technical Interview
- HR Interview
Round 1- Written Test
AMCAT conducted the written test for Associates position. However, the Cognizant syllabus was slightly different from the standard AMCAT syllabus. The written round had following sections:
- English: Had 22 questions which were to be completed in 18 minutes time. It had questions related to synonyms, antonyms, comprehensions, etc.
- Critical Reasoning: Had 15 questions and the time limit for this section was 20 minutes. The questions were easy in this section.
- Data Interpretation: There were 10 questions in this section, and they were a bit tricky.
- Debugging: The questions in this sections were related to finding errors in the code, and they were a bit difficult.
- Automata Programming Test: This section had 2 coding questions of high difficulty which were to be completed in 60 minutes time.
- Find an index in an array such that the sum of elements at its left side is equal to the sum of elements at its right side.
- WAP for Knapsack 0-1 problem
Overall the aptitude test was of moderate difficulty. However, the programming questions were difficult and time-consuming. I solved one question entirely and the other one partially. Fortunately, I cleared the test and qualified for the technical interview round.
Round 2-Technical Interview
The interviewer was a kind looking man in his early forties. I asked for his permission and entered the room. He smiled at me asked me to sit. It was a very warm gesture, which boosted my confidence. He had my resume with him, and he started asking questions from it.
- Tell me something about yourself.
- Why did you choose computer science?
- Which is your favorite subject?
- What is the difference between a concatenation of string using ‘+’ and StringBuffer?
- What is a void pointer? Can you dereference a void pointer without knowing its type?
- What are dangling pointers? How are they different from memory leaks?
- Do you know why a manhole is round?
The technical interview was difficult; it took around 1 hour to complete. Although I was not able to answer all the questions but was still able to qualify for the next round.
Round 3-HR Interview
The HR round was comparatively comfortable where I was mostly asked questions related to my personal life and likes and dislikes
- Tell me something about yourself.
- What are your hobbies?
- What are your short term and long term goals?
- Why do you want to join Cognizant?
- Do you want to pursue higher education?
- What are your expectations from this job?
Finally, the HR asked me if I was comfortable with night shifts, relocation, and other conditions to which I agreed.
One week later, results were declared, and I was selected. It was like a dream come true for me.